CHRIST AND CHRISTMAS
|1. Fast circling on, from zone to zone,--
Bright, blest, afar,--
O'er the grim night of chaos shone
One lone, brave star.
2. In tender mercy, Spirit sped
A loyal ray
To rouse the living, wake the dead,
And point the Way--
3. The Christ-idea, God anoints--
Of Truth and Life;
The Way in Science He appoints,
That stills all strife.
4. What the Beloved knew and taught,
Through understanding, dearly sought,
With fierce heart-beats;
5. Thus Christ, eternal and divine,
As Truth demands,--this living Vine
6. For heaven's Christus, earthly Eves,
By Adam bid,
Make merriment on Christmas eves,
O'er babe and crib.
7. Yet wherefore signalize the birth
Of him ne'er born?
What can rehearse the glorious worth
Of his high morn?
8. Christ was not crucified--that doom
Was Jesus' part;
For Sharon's rose must bud and bloom
In human heart. [*]
9. Forever present, bounteous, free,
Christ comes in gloom;
And aye, with grace towards you and me,
For health makes room.
10. Thus olden faith's pale star now blends
In seven-hued white!
Life, without birth and without end,
11. The Way, the Truth, the Life--His word--
Are here, and now
Christ's silent healing, heaven heard,
Crowns the pale brow.
12. For Christian Science brings to view
The great I Am,--
Omniscient power,--gleaming through
Mind, mother, man.
13. As in blest Palestina's hour,
So in our age,
'T is the same hand unfolds His power,
And writes the page.
14. To-day, as oft, away from sin
Christ summons thee!
Truth pleads to-night: Just take Me in!
No mass for Me!
15. No blight, no broken wing, no moan,
Truth's fane can dim;
Eternal swells Christ's music-tone,
In heaven's hymn.
These Scriptural texts are the basis of the sentiments in the